ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
Marcia Alessi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:11:19 -0700
Bill,
We are required to cover vocabulary but so far, I haven't been told
that I must use a certain text.   Therefore, students and I gather
words from our social studies text, headline news stories, and put
together a word list.  I like your cluster approach and will try that.
What I have done that seems to work is divide the words by parts of
speech.  I am a nut about verbs so the list always contains mostly
verbs and those "verbs" used as other parts of speech (apprehend,
apprehensive, apprehension).  This seems to help them in their grammar
and their own writing.

For next year, I ordered a vocab book from a series called "Vocabu-lit"
or some such thing (words in literature).  Because to be totally
without a book makes parents and administrators crazy.

Any book recommendations?

Marcia Alessi
Los Angeles

Language Arts & Social Studies