ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:14:57 -0400
> Brad,
   This sentence doesn't make any sense to me.
> "The focus of the thread is whether the timing sequence, essential to the
> proper use of the past perfect, must be contained in the sentence or can
> it be compelled by context."

   The Reacher item certainly uses past perfect in a necessary way. Your
other examples are of uses not so essential. Why would you call them
incorrect? Are unnecessary words always incorrect? Is it incorrect to
say "The plane will leave in an hour?" Would the same rule apply to
pronouns? You seem to have missed the point of my post.

   Like the rest of the list, I have a feeling the discussion really goes
nowhere, but that may be because you keep ignoring other people's
points. We can agree to disagree on issues like this; it's part of what
allows a collegial list to keep going.

   You should think about writing your position into an article. Maybe the
Ateg Journal would consider it. If you do so, though, you should
include a thoughtful description of what other people think. Other
people view the past participle differently, and that is not a trivial
consideration. You can't win anyone over if you don't respect their
current views.

Craig