ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Ruth Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:01:46 -0500
As I continue to lurk in the ATEG background to glean whatever tidbits of
information I can actually understand, I am in awe of the enormous pool of
knowledge.  I have to wonder if you are aware of the presence of those of us
who have a lesser knowledge...those of us who want to know what you know.

So many times I want to ask things like, "Just how DO you conjugate a verb?"
I can definitely relate to the following excerpt sent by David Mulroy: "As a
general rule, the college students with whom I deal are incapable of
conjugating the verb BE.  Of course, they can use its forms correctly.  You
could say that they have subconscious knowledge of its grammar in the same
sense that birds have a subconscious knowledge of aerodynamics."

I realize any question I might pose would be considered tedious to 99.9% of
you.  If it is inappropriate to ask such questions on this forum, do any of
you know where I can go for answers to these seemingly simple questions?
Other sites don't really stimulate the thought that provokes the need for
immediate answers...correct answers.

In and amongst the valuable topics you discuss, is it inappropriate for
those of us who want to be taught correct grammar to ask seemingly simple
questions?  I sincerely doubt it possible to find a better place for such
information than this forum.  Who better to teach those of us who are eager
and willing to be taught?

Thanks for allowing me to "tag along."

~Ruth