ATEG Archives

December 1998

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 23:26:25 -0500
Bob,

I thought I made it clear that I was not "expecting" that the diagramming
was a means to improve writing, but to encourage thought.  My students are
inner-city kids who have spent little or no time thinking about language -
and have done precious little work in any school subjects.  My first goal
was to find something that they would hook on to.  Sentence diagramming was
only one of many experiments; some worked better than others.  This one did
not work well - but it may have been my error in HOW I taught it, rather
than in the idea that it may actually attract some students to learning.

I'm sorry if I was not clear in my previous posting.