ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 12:28:08 -0500
TJ,
     One correction from below. The "mood element" is not finite and
lexical, but finite verb plus grammatical subject. "He does" is
sufficient for a sentence because it includes both, as does "Does he"?
    I am not the right person to ask about R/K diagrams, though I
remember them fondly from what we used to call "Junior High."
    Different terminology can widen the communication gaps. It's
unfortunate that grammar is treated in so many different camps and each
has its own way of naming things. I have trouble thinking of past
perfect as a tense because I share the currently mainstream view (in
linguistics) that there are only two tenses in English and that
"perfect" is not tense, but aspect. The fact that it often occurs
independently of tense is one manifestation of that. (I brought the
finished book to the library.)

Craig