BCTA Archives

November 2009

BCTA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Christine Matacic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Butler County Township Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 15:14:14 -0500
All,

In addition to the message below from Heidi Fought, I am also including a
copy of a letter I sent today via e-mail to the Senate State and Local
Government and Veterans Affairs Committee regarding SB 184. If you have any
questions on this, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Christine Matacic
(513) 779-2659
(513) 652-2659 - cell

> Subject: Legislative Alert
> From:    "Heidi Fought" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date:    Tue, November 3, 2009 2:44 pm
> Cc:      "Michael Cochran" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Dear Township Officials:
>
> Please find below information from the State Association.
>
> Bills Being Heard in the General Assembly
> Please find below the bills that will be heard this week relative to
> townships.  If you would like to read the bills in their entirety,
> please visit www.legislature.state.oh.us.  Additionally, if you have
> comments about any of the bills listed below, please feel free to share
> them with me and your state representative and senator.
> COMMITTEE SCHEDULE FOR WEEK OF NOVEMBER 2
>
> WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 4
>
> Senate State & Local Government & Veterans Affairs, (Chr. Hughes,
> 466-5981), South Hearing Rm., 10 a.m.
>
> SB 184  PRIVATE ROAD PLOWING  (Gibbs)  To authorize townships to use
> road equipment and labor resources available to a township to plow
> certain private roads and driveways either at the expense of the
> township or for a fee charged to specified persons.  (1st
> Hearing-Sponsor)
>
> House Local Government/Public Administration, (Chr. Chandler, 466-2004),
> Rm. 114, 10 a.m.
>
> HB 313  COUNTY LAND USE  (Ujvagi, Winburn)  To authorize a county with a
> population greater than 100,000, or a population between 78,000 and
> 81,000, to organize a county land reutilization corporation, to
> authorize a county treasurer of a county with such a corporation to
> utilize the alternative redemption period in actions to foreclose
> abandoned lands, and to immunize a county land reutilization corporation
> from liability for breach of a common law duty in connection with a
> parcel of land.  (2nd Hearing-All testimony)
>
> Senate Environment & Natural Resources, (Chr. Schaffer, 466-5838), North
> Hearing Rm., 11:15 a.m.
>
> SB 165  OIL/GAS DRILLING  (Niehaus)  To revise the Oil and Gas Law.
> (4th Hearing-All testimony)
>
> House Ways & Means, (Chr. Letson, 466-5358), Rm. 114, 3 p.m.
>
> HB 326  ESTATE TAX  (Hottinger, Grossman)  To reduce the estate tax, to
> authorize townships and municipal corporations, or electors thereof by
> initiative, to exempt from the estate tax any estate property located in
> the township or municipal corporation, and to distribute all estate tax
> revenue originating in a township or municipal corporation that does not
> exempt property from the tax to the township or municipal corporation.
> (1st Hearing-Sponsor)
>
> HB 255  FIREFIGHTER TAX CREDIT  (Balderson)  To allow a $400 income tax
> credit for volunteer firefighters.  (2nd Hearing-All testimony) OTA will
> be giving proponent testimony.
>
> THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5
>
> House Public Safety & Homeland Security, (Chr. Bolon, 466-8022), Rm.
> 114, 9:30 a.m.
>
> HB 212  AMATEUR RADIO ZONING  (Stebelton, Okey)  To codify federal
> [...]

Dear Chairman Hughes,

I understand SB 184 Private Road Plowing sponsored by Senator Gibbs will
have its first Hearing in your committee (Senate State and Local Government
and Veterans Affairs) on Wednesday, November 4, 2009. I appreciate the
concern to assist those less fortunate, in doing so, are we creating more
issues than we are solving? As a township in Southwestern Ohio, we realize
this is a "May" situation and not a "Shall", but there are several points of
concerns that we have with this bill:

1.        The constitutionality of taking tax dollars to benefit private
property.

Currently, townships are not permitted to use public monies for private
purposes. In authorizing this, what other areas will the General Assembly be
asked to make exceptions?

2.       The liability this would pose for townships.

What type of liability will we have when plowing snow up and back in a
driveway? Where do we pile the snow as we plow toward a garage door? What
happens if we take out shrubs when plowing the snow on the property?

3.       Financial drain to an already tight budget.

If this is enacted, we will need to purchase additional equipment (smaller
trucks with smaller plows) and hire additional drivers to just plow private
streets and driveways (most of the private streets in our township were the
homeowner's choice - nobody made them live on a private street). If we plow
and then turn around and bill the resident for the service, how is this
different from the individual's right and ability to hire their own
contractor to provide the service? Are we treading into the realm of private
enterprise?

Are we opening ourselves up to additional costs when a private
enterprise/developer default and declare bankruptcy? This would force the
township to expend funds, materials and time to benefit a private
individual.

4.       The physical logistics of plowing dedicated roadways and then
switching gears to begin plowing private roadways and driveways.

As mentioned in #3 above, look at the additional equipment needs and drivers
a township would need to hire OR if no equipment purchased and no new
drivers hired, how would we be able to keep the main arterial roads clear
for emergency vehicles. Current equipment is designed for standard roadways
within our township's borders. Driveways and smaller private roads require
other type of equipment and a different way of handling the snow . Most
private companies who hire out to provide this service have these
capabilities.

As it is, our township finds in heavy snow falls, we are constantly going
back to the beginning of our list of road priorities before finishing and
addressing our cul-de-sacs (cul-de-sacs are our last priority for street
cleaning).  What type of requirement will we be placing on the overall
safety of our community if this is enacted?

5.       With the poverty threshold in this bill, would this open up other
areas of service to be included in future bills?

6.       As for the disabled or the senior citizen, does this individual
need to be considered the head of the household? If a child lives in a home
on a private drive and is disabled, OR a parent of the homeowner is living
with them, will these situations qualify them to receive special treatment
even though there may be capable individuals living in the home who can take
care of their responsibilities? There need to be more specifics addressed
with respect to who would qualify if this were enacted.

My fellow trustees, Mr. Patrick Hiltman and Mr. David Kern agree and would
appreciate your consideration and attention to the concerns outlined above.

Again, thank you for your service and thoughtfulness as this proposed bill
goes through the process.

Sincerely,

Christine L. Matacic

Vice President, Liberty Township Trustees and

President, Butler County Township Association

9400 Princeton Road

Liberty Township, Ohio 45011

(513) 759-7500 - township

(513) 779-2659 - home