CLEANACCESS Archives

April 2007

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cal Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:46:57 -0400
I'm [still] running version 3.5.11.
We're trying to insert DHCP options for our Airespace wireless
controllers and Novell's SLP settings. So far, I can't even get to first
base.

To tell the wireless access points where to find the controller, Cisco's
documentation tells us to set DHCP option 43 for the address, like this:

option 43 hex f104ac10fc55

for a single controller at address 172.16.252.85, for example. (f1 is an
option code, 04 tells us we're sending 4 octets, i.e. a single address,
and the remainder is the IP address in hex)

I've gone into one of our CCA servers, DHCP Global Options tab, and
tried several things with no success. What am I doing wrong?

1) entered it as a Root Global Option, using the text above. The DHCP
daemon failed to restart, didn't like the syntax of the option.
2) entered it as a Root Global Option, minus the keyword "option." That
didn't work, either. I don't find the error messages particularly
illuminating.

3) entered it as a Scoped Global Option, and while it shows up on the
subnet definition page as an additional option, it doesn't actually
appear in the generated dhcpd.conf file and I don't see where the option
is actually being issued to clients.

It doesn't surprise me that this feature was completely redone in
version 4.x...

Anyone have some light to shed on this particular?
--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"This is the moment freedom begins, the moment you realize someone else
has been writing your story, and it's time you took the pen from his
hand and started writing it yourself." -- Bill Moyers.