CLEANACCESS Archives

November 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"King, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:42:59 -0500
Greg,

One of the comments that early on went over the mailing list was this:

CCA will expose damaged machines, that will operate ok just surfing the
web, but when you attempt to patch them, will ultimately fail.  The
cause of the failure is a mirad of things ranging to damaged DLL's to a
cornucopia of spyware.

The point is, you would have the same difficulty with that machine, in a
virus outbreak situation, as you would now.

Or, put another way.  The machines will always be messedup, when do you
want, and who do you want to fix it?

One more point. IF it's become a problem, do what I do.  Make a copy of
Cisco's rules, and use those as your rules.  You ultimately control what
is, and what is not required.  We choose to run a week or so behind
"Microsoft's Patch Tuesday" so that issues like this can be understood.
We do however, have to be vigilant that Microsoft does not pull a patch,
since we are not depending on Cisco to update the rules automatically.

Mike