CLEANACCESS Archives

November 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cal Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:50:57 -0500
Hi, all,
Can someone with XBox experience help me out? My XBox users are pretty angry
with me by now. They complain they still cannot connect to XBox Live...

I have:
On the Packetshaper, a ResNet gaming partition of 0-3MB. Within that are
multiple game classes, including one for XBoxLive (standard defn for 7.0.1g1).

My Perfigo/CCA gateways have a user role for gaming systems that permits DNS,
NTP, and all off-campus traffic as well as within-dorm traffic. We manually
enter the MAC address of XBoxes and Playstations into this role.

It would seem I can hardly open up the traffic classes any more for this gear.
The final question might be with our firewall, but that configuration is pretty
minimal. Short of NetBIOS in general, and specific attack signatures, we let
nearly all else through. What does XBox need to connect to Live?

--
--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com

  "The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his
own are the same." --Marie Beyle.