CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Grinnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:39:30 -0400
Rajesh,

I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning here.  Most MIBs have
large sections of read-only data.  A good example that corresponds to
the online users table is IP-MIB::ipNetToMediaPhysAddress.  Making
this type of OID read-write is meaningless.  In any case, merely
having metrics on the numbers of devices in a specific role available
via SNMP would be a big, very useful, step.  Here is a list of
metrics that I am currently pulling out of the database:
Certified Users by Role
Online Users by Role
Online Users by Server
Online Users by Operating System
Online Users by VLAN

Metrics that I think would also be good to collect are:
Online Users by Access Point
Online Users by Switch (OOB)

These metrics are comparable to standard interface counters used by
countless administrators with tools like MRTG and Cricket.  I would
strongly argue that SNMP is the proper way to expose this data
because of this.  Exposing this data via the API would be nice, but
it shouldn't be the only way that you make it available, because
querying the API requires some programming/scripting to get the data
out.

Regarding your worries about pushing large amounts of data through
SNMP, if you can do it for ARP tables  on routers (OID above), then I
don't see why you can't do it for CCA.

Thank you for taking the time to ask us about these issues.
Regards,

Michael Grinnell
Network Security Administrator
The American University