CLEANACCESS Archives

September 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jason Ozaeta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:43:32 -0400
Has anyone experienced an issue with specific Windows updates with Clean
Access? We've seen a similar topic about a problem like this, and someone
said it was a problem with Windows Update. The resolution was to just
install the individual update from Microsoft's site. However, we are
experiencing lots of users experiencing the issue. As a result, we've had
to stretch our tech support staff to the limit, installing individual
updates on each user's computer. This is proving to be a serious issue on
our side, as the number of users with the problem increases. Has anyone
seen anything about the Windows Update problem?

Specificaly, the Clean Access agent finds a Windows update that is not on
the system, therefore giving the user temporary access. However, the user
goes to Windows Update, but Windows Update reports that no critical updates
are needed. Like the similar post said, downloading the specific update
manually works, but this requires too much time on our part to fix, as well
as defeats the purpose of our login system.

We're not sure if this is a coincidence, but the users failing this Windows
Update check are commonly missing the KB873333 hotfix. We've researched
this hotfix to find any compatibility issues, but have not found any.

Does anyone have any other advice or insight to this problem?

Jason Ozaeta
ResNet Student Assistant
Working for Jeff Porter
Cal Poly