CLEANACCESS Archives

January 2007

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
YueFan Lam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:41:00 +0800
On 1/4/07, Greg Stein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Obviously this isn't the preferred method, but that is where we are stuck
>
> for now.  I'd be more than happy to hear other suggestions ;)

Not sure if it were working or not. As usual we might fool around with
this registry key as a last resort:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International

Make a backup first and then change the value "Locale" to 00000409
before we install English anti-virus / English Clean Access Agent.
Theoretically anti-virus software should behave like an English flavor
(or flavour?) while CAA would treat the non-English XP as English as
well. Finally the server side might be able to find what it wants so
that the checks / rules should be passed.

No luck with that? I was reading something with "Clean Machines" but
not at all related to Cisco / Perfigo products:

http://juice.altiris.com/question/884/lots-of-registry-seeks-by-services-exe-that-result-in-not-found-whats-going-on

Altiris SVS for personal use is free:

http://www.altiris.com/svs-free

http://www.svsdownloads.com/download_svs.php

Just wondering if we could create a layer for CCAAgent.exe and make
our lives somewhat easier. Any thoughts?

Alternatively, simply check the value "Locale" mentioned above and
find out if we were getting an English XP or not:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/winxp/xp-lcid.mspx

If not, just go through a different set of checks / rules so that
specific requirements would be waived. Probably a good idea for those
of us with a fairly small percentage of international students while
our staff / student workers might have a tough time supporting
localized versions of XP. Western languages should be similar to
English one way or the other. However, Eastern ones would be a
different story. Try to compare these pages and see what I mean:

http://www.microsoft.com/de/de/default.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/ja/jp/default.aspx

Of course we could bring a laptop with English XP and compare both
languages as we proceed. Otherwise just use Remote Desktop Connection
to take a look at another PC. Actually we should have memorized most
parts of XP after all these years so that even icons alone should
suffice.

Again those smart kids could have figured out that "Locale" trick and
take advantage of those non-English OS(es) requirements. Not too bad
when they could keep a "secret" but sometimes their buddies might also
get a little "help" here and there. Obviously a trade-off that
probably means not win-win for everyone.

Still waiting for more creative solutions that would give us a happy new year.

BTW, have you guys seen any resources related to NAC in general and
localization? These books are relatively new but non-English XP would
not be covered in these topics:

http://safari.ciscopress.com/1587052415
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/72150672

http://safari.ciscopress.com/1587052253