CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Diggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:22:57 -0400
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Prem Ananthakrishnan (prananth) wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Welcome to the list!! :) Glad to have you here.
>
> 1) It is recommended that the discovery Host not be the CAS IP address.
> In fact, it should be the IP address of a device on the trusted side
> (beyond the CAS) - Preferably the CAM.
>
> 2) So, that brings us to the next question:- What is your CAM's IP
> address? Is that public as well?
>
> What is happening is that agent tried to discover CAM (or whatever IP
> you configured) via L2 and then when CAS is not available in the PATH,
> it tries to use L3 (on port 8906) to discover the CAM. Now, of course,
> when they go home, L2 wont
> work and they will use L3.
>
> This traffic is being routed to your FW by your ISP as the discovery is
> done for CAS IP address.
>
> If your CAMs IP address is NOT public, then you can use that and that
> will work. However, you will need push a new agent with the discovery
> host. The discovery host is hardset during install (as a registry
> value).
>
> What version of agent are you running now?

Thanks for your help. I'm running Agent 3.6.4.0. My CAM is a public
address too, sigh. However, I could create a "dummy" Discovery Host that
resolves to a inside private address (to a real network). Would that do
it? What happens if I leave the Discovery Host blank (since I don't need
L3 discovery)?

I understand that existing Agent users will not be upgraded automatically,
but that's okay, since I'll have to force an agent upgrade sooner or later
(upgrading to 4.x or 3.6.4.1 perhaps).

-Mike

> -Prem

Mike Diggins       			Voice:  905.525.9140 Ext. 27471
Network Analyst, Enterprise Networks    FAX:    905.528.3773
University Technology Services 		E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario