CLEANACCESS Archives

September 2008

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nathaniel Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:53:44 -0400
Hey Wendy,

In Vista, I don't think we check browsers, whereas in XP we do and that
is why it is failing. I don't know why the rules are setup like that,
might be some critical OS patches on XP that made it like that. So the
client is failing because they don't have IE6 or IE7.

I understand where you are coming from, however I think gmail and IE8
are two different situations - Gmail will always be in beta - IE8 is a
beta release designed for bug testing for the full release which has a
set date.

That being said, the Clean Access product team has never wavered in the
fact that they will not support betas or release candidates. This
happened with IE7 and it happened with XP SP2 and SP3 and Vista SP1. Its
always fun when those betas and RCs come out, but as with before there
will not be a check released for IE8 beta.

You can certainly create a copy of the rule and create a custom IE8
check to add into it, many customers have done that in the past.

An even better option IMHO is to use the WSUS style requirement instead
of the Windows Update style. That way instead of checking against
Cisco's rule set, the client will check against Microsoft's
WindowsUpdate.com and if it says its up to date it will return an OK to
the agent allowing the user to login.

Nate