CLEANACCESS Archives

January 2007

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cal Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:40:29 -0500
Erik Ball wrote:
> Just to throw it out there - the 4.0.2.2 to 4.0.4 upgrade went horribly
> wrong.  Our Clean Access environment seems to be so "ordinary" and by
> the book - sometimes you'd wonder why its not an appliance-like upgrade.

Erik, you have my sympathy -- what a horrible experience.

For what it's worth, I set our boxes up with hardware mirrored drives,
and before an upgrade, I remove a drive from the CAM and at least one of
the CASs for quick restore of service should it all break loose. I know
it wasn't supported, but as it's a BIOS-level mirror, the OS doesn't
need to know about the RAID setup. This is on Proliant DL320s of about
2004 vintage...

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." --Benjamin Franklin.