CLEANACCESS Archives

January 2007

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cal Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:42:15 -0500
Matthew Farwell wrote:
> We are considering implementing bandwidth limits via CCA roles?  Is
> anyone else using this functionality?  If so, how much bandwidth are you
> giving your users?
> Thanks in advance,
> Matthew

At least as far as 3.5.12, this seems to be a crude tool, indeed.

When I tried this, using limits from 512k up to 3M, there were many
complaints from gamers and VoIP users regarding latency in particular.
We went back to unlimited bandwidth for authenticated users, and dynamic
partitioning on the Packetshaper to do what we needed. I limit
quarantined and otherwise unauthenticated folks to a couple hundred kb/s
 outbound just as a precaution.

I'm interested in hearing of better experiences from those using more
recent versions. This could be useful if the algorithm were smoother...

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

"Political will is a renewable resource." -- Al Gore.