CLEANACCESS Archives

April 2008

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Greg Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:13:21 -0400
We use Sun iPlanet LDAP server (or Java LDAP server...whatever they are
calling it today...) for all of our CCA authentication.  When we did our
Clean Access implementation this past summer we created new custom LDAP
attributes that would allow us to "block" a user for various conditions:

EduPersonResnetBlocked
EduPersonResnetDMCA
EduResnetAbuse
EduResnetGaming
EduResnetReenable

These fields are all integer fields.  We created a custom PHP web page
that allows us to modify these fields via pull down boxes and write back
to the LDAP servers.

We then have custom roles defined in CCA for DMCA/Abuse/Gaming that are
checked when a user authenticates, if they have the EduPersonResnetDMCA
field set to "1", then they get assigned the DMCA role.  When they run
their browser the only page they get is one that says call our office to
schedule an appointment because you're in trouble (well nicer than
that!).  :)

This has worked very well for us, other than our initial problem of CCA
being case sensitive to LDAP queries for some reason.

If your using AD I imagine you should also be able to create custom
attributes in a similiar way to assign them roles.  Just remember that
you'll have to create these attributes for ALL users.  If one of those
attributes does not exist for a user, CCA may assign an incorrect role to
the user.  We had to add these attributes to all existing user accounts
and they are automatically added to a user account when a new account is
created in LDAP.

--greg

Gregory A. Fuller - CCNA
Network Manager