CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Wilson, Julie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:56:04 -0500
Take a look at their anti-virus software and also check to see that they
don't have a firewall blocking or slowing their access somehow.

How did your network handle the 9 Microsoft updates that were just out?
We require students to be up to date with MS patches and yesterday it
ate up our resnet pipe having all 4,000 students in dorms trying to get
the updates downloaded at the same time.  How are others handling that?
We talked about hooking them to our WSUS but then what about when they
leave campus.  Anyone have a simple solution for caching MS patches
locally without using WSUS?  It would be nice if CCA could store the
updates and push them out to the people who need them as they are
rejected access!

Julie

Julie A. Wilson
Associate Director - ITS Systems Administration
Eastern Illinois University
217-581-7808