CLEANACCESS Archives

September 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Grinnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:08:32 -0400
We created a page for our HelpDesk to use that uses the API to
register the device.  The HelpDesk checks the MAC Address prefix
against the OUI database to verify that it's not someone's router or
pc.  The web form creates an "allow" filter with a description that
includes:
     who registered it
     who it's registered to
     what type of device it is
     the date it was registered.

We've looked at eventually moving these devices from "allowed" to a
specific role, but we wanted to see what other schools' experiences
were first.

Michael Grinnell
Network Security Administrator
The American University