CLEANACCESS Archives

June 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cal Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 17:40:34 -0400
We implemented the Nessus scan first off, back when it was Perfigo we were
installing. If your students are good, they've got the Windows firewall turned
on, at least, and that's why you're seeing the timeout results. Have a look at a
Mac or some other OS system to see something more interesting.

We don't have administrative accounts on our students' systems, so we haven't
gone as far down the road as you. We do allow CCA to attempt the default
accounts, just to find those with open Administrator accounts.

We have vulnerability set only on HOLE, so I'm not seeing the behaviour you are.
It's always possible our version (3.5.4, still) is behaving differently than yours.

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.calfrye.com, www.pitalabs.com, www.ouuf.org

  "The test of courage comes when we are in the minority; the test of tolerance
comes when we are in the majority." -- Ralph W. Sockman.