CLEANACCESS Archives

September 2008

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Daniel Sichel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:04:23 -0700
>Right now we are sending users to the windows update site when they are
= missing updates, does WSUS work better? =20
We have a corporate domain structure using Microsoft AD on Windows
2003R2 servers, the WSUS works REALLY WELL for us. The initial setup is
somewhat painful but the review/approve/deploy process is great. We
automatically push out critical updates without review and with one
minor dot net exception we have been delighted. Performance is bonzo. I
should let you know, we have a small, flat well connected network, gig
or 100mbit switched connections running to 3750s, 2950s which in turn
uplink over fiber to a 4506 with a SUPII+ engine with gig ports.
Intrasite transport is SONET (I work at a telco). Having said that, it
is trouble free and EFFECTIVE. Highly recommended.

BTW, and apropos of nothing, Cisco TAC finally appears to have solved my
stub installer problem.  Testing is ongoing, but so far it's looking
good. Kudos to TAC and thanks to my Cisco rep for helping out when I
needed her to! You rarely see attaboys for TAC, so since I feel free to
whine and complain, I thought I should also let them know when I am
grateful.

Cheers,

Daniel Sichel, CCNP, MCSE,MCSA,MCTS (Windows 2008)
Network Engineer
Ponderosa Telephone (559) 868-6367