CLEANACCESS Archives

May 2009

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joe Feise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 10:02:33 -0700
On Mon, May 11, 2009 09:17, Daniel Sichel wrote:
>>I've had a student challenge me about this approach. While we are
> within our rights to block p2p traffic, and to disable network access
> for those _running_ p2p software, can we really
>>tell a student which _inactive_ programs they're allowed to have
> installed on their personally owned computers?
>

> Please keep in mind the following, network access in this situation is a
> privilege, not a right, and as such is granted subject to the student
> agreeing to some rules which in fact, benefit the entire community (no
> P2P, no bandwidth hogging).

Well, in the case mentioned, merely having the software installed on the
system does not affect the network. Just with the software installed,
there is no bandwidth hogging, there is no P2P usage.
I can see a student using his personal property, e.g., a laptop, at his
parents' house, and using P2P on his parents' Internet connection.

> If the student feels unduly restricted, they
> can either not participate, or secure their own high bandwidth
> connection. Many fine wireless services exist and constitute a
> reasonable alternative for a student who wants to retain his or her
> control over their computer. If the student wants to use the facility
> provided, they must abide by the rules. Res Republica.

So, when are we starting to ban books?