CLEANACCESS Archives

August 2004

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Hague, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:01:31 -0400
We have a few XP machines that are exhibiting some strange behavior.
When you install Service Pack 1, it is supposed to create the following
registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CSDVersion - the value
is set to "Service Pack 1"

We have found a few machines on which this doesn't happen. We have
re-installed SP1 several times and it just isn't there. We even tried to
create the key manually but Windows removes it on reboot. Our
remediation system uses this key to determine if SP1 is installed and
wont let the student register if its not there.
Has anyone else seen this and know of a fix for it?

Thanks!

Jeff Hague
MCSE
Network Manager