CLEANACCESS Archives

September 2009

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cal Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:32:21 -0400
Presumably you can identify the university secured machines, whether by
user account or by subnet. Apply a different role to these machines that
accounts for WSUS, etc.

Back when we first implemented Perfigo, a faculty laptop was the first
infected system seen on our campus, so we were interested in applying
NAC to all ports, not just in ResNet. As we implement our new NAC
solution, we intend to extend NAC coverage to all user ports, including
VPN connections. I believe the nature of the threat has changed
sufficiently that unless your staff machines are really severely locked
down, you need that visibility into every system on your network.
--Cal Frye, Oberlin College.

--
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of
Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"I am endlessly fascinated that playing football is considered a
training ground for leadership, but raising children isn't." -- Dee Dee
Myers.