CLEANACCESS Archives

May 2009

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jeremy Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2009 15:56:52 -0400
We have actually started to implement this as well. We have 3 part
custom rules that look for things like limewire, kazaa, emule, ares,
etc. The 3 parts are:

Registry Key
Program Executable
Essential File

We do this so that even if the user renames 'limewire.exe' to
'notlimewire.exe' we can still detect another limewire file that can't
be renamed. Now granted that doesn't stop a user from grabbing an OSS
P2P software and hacking the code to get around this, but then IPS
rules can grab that.

Right now we have one rule running in Audit mode and it seems to work
well. After some more testing this summer it is going to be one of the
things implemented during the Fall semester.

--Jeremy