CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Hague, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:30:08 -0400
Thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: Perfigo SecureSmart and CleanMachines Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jason Richardson
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 2:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PERFIGO] PS2 - game ports management

>I can't believe I'm reading this thread!
>
>Why would you possibly want to wildcard entire MAC address
manufacturers
>on your network? Wasn't one tenant behind CCA/Perfigo to ensure that
>every device is identifiable and traceable back to a user?

We're not - only MACs used by Microsoft and Sony with their respective
game consoles.  If CCA offered a better way of managing game consoles,
we would use it.

>Why would you even consider opening up the port 443 cesspool, and for
>gaming devices at that!

As we have been saying, to make the games work.  I guess that students
living in the dorms at your school don't game.  That is lucky for you,
although pretty unusual.

>And while I'm on  roll, how can so many of you in good conscience
deploy
>clear, unauthenticated and unencrypted wireless access points?

Uh, I didn't see that come up anywhere in this thread.  We don't.

>Somebody pinch me (or kick me)! I thought the whole purpose behind
the
>CCA-pain was security!

It is, but there are political realities to deal with at our school and
most others.  If you have complete control over your network with
absolutely no accountability to the administration of your university
you're a lucky man.  Enjoy it and never leave because you wouldn't like
what you would find at other schools.