CSCAISGC Archives

April 1997

CSCAISGC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Mongeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CSCA Interpersonal & Small Group Communication <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:49:49 EST
Dear List Members - I thought this might be of interest to some of you.  PM

To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
 [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
From: [log in to unmask] (Dr. Dawn Braithwaite)
Subject: call for book chapter proposals

DEAR COLLEAGUES- PLEASE HELP US LOCATE INTERESTED RESEARCHERS!

CALL FOR BOOK CHAPTER PROPOSALS

Working title:  COMMUNICATION AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

Editors:  Dawn O. Braithwaite, Arizona State University West
Teresa L. Thompson, University of Dayton

We are looking for proposals for book chapters dealing with
communication and people with disabilities.  A research emphasis has been
developing in Communication Studies for almost 20 years, but there has been
no compilation of what we have learned.  The implementation of the
Americans with Disabilities Act, the formation of the Disability Caucus at
SCA, presentations being made at scholarly conferences, and our reading of
the communication literature all tell us that it is time to edit a book of
the work of communication scholars on this important issue.

We seek book chapter proposals that are centered on communication and the
contribution our discipline has made or can make to understanding
and facilitating the communication of people with a wide variety
of disabilities.   We are looking for essays that review the literature and
advance knowledge, theory, research methods, and/or practices.  We would
encourage data-based conclusions to be presented in chapters, but are
looking for essays that move beyond one single data-based study.  Areas
being considered include, but are not limited to disability as it relates
to:  communication in interpersonal relationships; social support; people
with disabilities as a culture; communication of people with disabilities
in groups or organizations;  communication in employment or on campus;
media or technologies; and essays devoted to communication of people with
particular disabilities.  Proposals:  Send a 1-3 page proposal, indicating
a working title and a description of your proposed chapter as well as a
curriculum vitae no later than June 30, 1997 to:

Dawn O. Braithwaite, Ph.D.
Department of Communication Studies
Arizona State University West
Phoenix, AZ 85069-7100

(602) 543-6612 FAX

Feel free to contact either of us to discuss your ideas.  We hope you
will submit a proposal!  Please pass this notice along to interested
colleagues.

Dawn Braithwaite                                Teri Thompson
(602) 543-6630 Voice                    (513) 229-2379
 Email:  [log in to unmask]       Email: [log in to unmask]

Dawn O. Braithwaite, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Communication Studies
Interim Director, Gerontology Program
Arizona State University West
Phoenix, AZ 85069-7100

(602) 543-6630 VOICE (602) 543-6612 FAX