ECOLUNCH Archives

March 2006

ECOLUNCH@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Molly Mehling <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Mehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:42:29 -0500
------ Forwarded Message
From: "Martin Henry H. Stevens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:44:43 -0500
To: Molly Mehling <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Steve Ellner Ecology-Evolution talk

Hi Molly,
Could you please forward this to the ecolunch list?
Thanks!
Hank

Begin forwarded message:

Hi folks,
Miami University and the Center for Computational Research is hosting
the Miami University Symposium on Computational Research - March 24,
2006. One of the keynote speakers will be Steve Ellner of Cornell
University. Steve is a theoretician and applied modeler who has
worked on a wide variety of topics. I have included his tentative
abstract below. Steve will be in town the evening of Thursday March
23 through Saturday morning, March 25. His symposium talk will be at
1:15 PM on Friday March 24 at the Marcum Center. The symposium and
lunch are free to all Miami faculty, staff and students. If you would
like to attend, please notify the organizers so that they may plan
appropriately. Please see http://www.units.muohio.edu/cacr/  for
additional details.

Ellner abstract follows.

Hank Stevens

>> Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary
>> dynamics
>>
>> Stephen P. Ellner
>> Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
>> Cornell University
>>
>> The conventional distinction between ecological and evolutionary
>> time scales has been challenged by recent findings of rapid
>> evolutionary change. "Rapid" is often defined simply by comparison
>> with other measured rates of evolution, but the relevance of rapid
>> evolution depends on how strongly it affects ongoing ecosystem
>> dynamics. I will describe an approach that uses this standard to
>> measure the importance of rapid evolution, and present three
>> empirical case-studies: predator-prey cycles in laboratory
>> microcosms driven by rapid evolution of prey defenses, changes in
>> diapause timing by freshwater copepods in response to varying fish
>> predation, and the studies by Peter and Rosemary Grant of bill-
>> size evolution in Darwin's finches. These analyses support the
>> conclusion that ecological and evolutionary time scales are often
>> convergent, so an understanding of ecological dynamics depends on
>> understanding the interactions between evolution and ecology.

Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056