ECOLUNCH Archives

September 2005

ECOLUNCH@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:56:14 -0400

ECO-wall Presentation and Brown Bag Lunch

TUESDAY September 13th, 12:00-12:50
In the Atrium of Alumni Hall

Using Recycled Paper in the Design of
Commercial Interior Wall Systems

An Interdisciplinary Design and Research Project Involving Faculty  and
Students from Miami University's Departments of Architecture and  Interior
Design, Paper Science and Engineering, Manufacturing
Engineering, and Marketing.

See http://www.muohio.edu/ecowall

The ECO-lunch presentation this coming Tuesday 9/13, will be on our
ECO-Wall project. This brown bag lunch series runs every Tuesday.  Faculty
and students present their work in different fields related  to ecology
and the environment. We will show the video that Mass
Communications students Kevin Berry and Dana Smith produced last
year.  They shot footage of many of the design sessions and
interviewed students from the different majors involved throughout  the
year.  If you haven't seen it you really should.  It's great!

The presentation will be in the atrium of Alumni Hall where the full
scale mock up of the ECO-wall system is located.  Several of the
students on the project and I took the mock-up to Washington for the
final of the P3 Competition in May.  We received an Honorable Mention
from the National Academies (Science and Engineering).

We have been working over the summer to try and secure external
funding for the project, and it now looks like we will be able to
continue with industry support.  Ultimately we hope to develop an
interdisciplinary research center with participation from
Architecture and Interior Design, Paper Science, Manufacturing and
Mechanical Engineering and Marketing to continue the work that was  begun
under the P3 grant. The University is very supportive of the  project and
among other things has begun the process of trying to  secure two patents
related to the ECO-Wall system.

I hope to see you TUESDAY

Scott Johnston,
Department of Architecture and Interior Design