FACULTYTALK Archives

April 2010

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Virginia G Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:33:53 -0400
I think the officer is wrong. Plagiarism is, I think, with benefit of
authoritative source, an appropriation of anither's work as one's. A
form of fraud but not the only form of fraud. Intentionally
misrepresenting one's work as an original response to an assignment
may be fraud, depending on the expectations in the context. Textbook
writers are assumed to be recycling some of their own work, without
attribution, but the expectation inheres in the context.

So it comes down to what expectations were implicit in the context,
which was, i think, someone else's point in this series of post. The
officer is correct that it is (most likely) wrongful, but nit that the
wrong is named plagiarism.

I'll bet the integrity officer is not  a lawyer or a linguist or a
grammarian.

Thank goodness.

Anybody else analyze it this way?

Ginny

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 15, 2010, at 2:26 PM, "Kulow, Marianne DelPo" <[log in to unmask]