FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Swaine, Edward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 17:52:33 -0400
       Though I may be one of the very few who care, I'd continue to
dissent on the list settings, at least since the issue is rearing its
head again.  At the risk of repeating what's already been said:
       1.  While it is in theory easy to avoid accidentally replying to
the list, it seems to happen not infrequently.  Some of this is
inevitable -- on lists that are set differently, members sometimes hit
changing the setting.  I'm not sure why this hasn't been done, save for
the supposed benefit of watching others make mistakes.  Perhaps Dan can
speak to this.
       2.  As to that, I agree that it is occasionally fun to see what
results, and it probably even outweighs the spam effect for me -- so
far.  But I would just caution that it is sometimes not so fun for those
screwing up.  I have had students humiliate themselves in the eyes of
their peers by accidentally posting to class lists when those were set
incorrectly, and I have been on professional and academic lists in which
members accidentally distributed posts that contained very embarrassing
content (among those that come to mind are one involving what appeared
to be an assignation, and another in which an attorney spoke
disparagingly, and obscenely, of a judge in front of whom he was
appearing, who was supposedly also a list subscriber).  I doubt I'm the
only one who's seen a message that the sender fervently wishes had not
been mistakenly sent to everyone.
       As a courtesy, I will leave it to Frank to describe the limerick
about the Lemon test that he accidentally sent to a conlaw listserve.
       3.  As to the privacy issue Peter raises, it seems to me this
concern is in tension with the lack of concern about list mechanics.
For better or for worse, list messages distributed as email are out in
the world -- information wants to be free! -- independent of the archive
altogether.  Indeed, I suspect that the more personal or inadvertently
amusing messages are the more likely to be saved (and forwarded),
without any guarantee of deletion or security.   So I'd rather heed what
gets sent to the list than harbor any illusions about security
afterward.
       Best,