FACULTYTALK Archives

May 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Bowal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 1994 15:05:45 MST
Text item: Re: outside law practice

  May I make about three points:

(1.)  If one is doing an excellent full time job at teaching, research and
   service, who are we to suggest that s/he should not engage in other work
   (eg. between 2:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.) if that person wants to?  I think
   the focus should be on the job that one is being paid at the Business
   School to do.  If that is well done (the only issue), I don't care what
   legal activity s/he engages in outside, remunerative or otherwise.  I
   would hate for an idle bureaucracy somewhere to legislate on this;

(2.)  Practically speaking,  we cannot be talking about many
   freshly-appointed colleagues without tenure.  Our tenure clock here is
   3.5 years, not much time to develop 4-5 courses and get the research
   program humming with acceptances.  Also, I think there is a minimum
   threshold for effort devoted to an outside practice.  Fixed costs here,
   with an office in the home, no advertising or hired help, are about
   $3000 per year;

(3.)  In favour of some practice, I really think that good practical
   experience and examples can enhance teaching.  The trouble, however, is
   that "war stories" (ie. the facts in them) can cloud the legal
   issues/law and become entertainment at the expense of learning.  I agree
   that there might be some professional jealously in the hearts of
   colleagues toward practising lawyer academics.  Conspicuous practice
   risks alienating them even further and sending the wrong message about
   commitment.

Peter  Bowal
University of Calgary
Alberta, Canada