FACULTYTALK Archives

August 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Siedel, George" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:25:24 -0400
Bill,

I agree with you that citation counts can be problematic. However, Bill
Starbuck (who teaches at the Stern School) has ranked 509 journals by
their estimated citation impact scores.  See the section entitled
"Citation of Journals Related to Business" at the bottom of Bill's
webpage:  http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~wstarbuc/  Three of the top ten
journals that are "most central to business" (as measured by the number
of times they are cited in business journals) are law reviews.  Five of
the top twenty and thirteen of the top fifty are law reviews--ranked
ahead of many of the leading journals in other business school
disciplines.

The good news is that law review scholarship is so well received in
business journals--which should provide support for the argument that
law reviews are leading journals in our field.  The bad news is that
this data doesn't explain individual low citation counts when someone is
reviewed for promotion and tenure.

George