FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"John R. Allison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 08:18:28 -0600
Although I don't know about the JLSE or ABLJ, my own experience generally
is that journals typically don't mind if the author has previously
circulated drafts or working papers, even working papers that are
relatively close to completion.  This makes sense because journals are
likely to get higher quality submissions if the author has gotten input
from other scholars.  I personally have put several working papers in the
various SSRN online journals, which are advertised as working papers, and
the journals to whom I subsequently submitted did not care.  Whether you
let the journal to which you subsequently submit about the previous
circulation is up to you; the clear norm seems to be that it is not
unethical to refrain from telling the journal because of the general
acceptance of the practice.  Again, the overall effect is to produce higher
quality submissions.

John