FACULTYTALK Archives

June 1998

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Bruce D. Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:31:08 -0400
Prof. Calderon:
     I apologize for not responding sooner to your request for information
on other schools' undergraduate business law curricula.  Here at the Univ.
of Tenn. we are undergoing "downsizing" as a result of state budget
tightening in light of Medicare/TNCare budget demands coupled with a
Republican Governor's promise to give "excess" monies to education (this
year we are receiving our first raise in 5 years--1%.  We have lost two b.
law profs in the past 3 years--one a resignation by a minority woman I
really recruited hard to get and the other a woman who simply "burned out"
from the demands teaching in an MBA program which UT uses to get national
visibility for the school and in which faculty are evaluated by the students
WEEKLY on the internet.  The "hidden" agenda seems to be to induce full time
business law faculty to resign so the administration can use released funds
to hire several part-timers who can cover sections.
     I offer this aforementioned, which I do not believe is unique, as
background to discussion of our present law offerings.  We have one required
core undergraduate business law/legal environment course and one graduate
course required of MAcc students.  We have a part-timer teaching 400
undergrads per semester and I teach the grad offering to the MAccs in the
summer.  Additionally, I now teach in the MBA offering following the
resignation of my colleague.
     Perhaps the Carnegie Foundation Report will be some ammunition
university administrators can use to strengthen their case for increasing
budgets in the future.  Given the popularity of law courses with
undergraduates, it would appear that we have a strong case for improving our
undergraduate offerings at all schools.
     As a former president of the ALSB, I hope that you are successful in
drumming up support for our discipline.  If you need someone to add to your
panel to provide a longer term perspective, feel free to call on me.  I plan
to go to San Diego.
                            Prof. Bruce D. Fisher
                            Univ. of Tenn.