FACULTYTALK Archives

August 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Frank Darr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 1994 09:20:33 -0600
In Message Tue, 30 Aug 1994 17:39:03 -0500,
  "Robert A. Lamb" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Sender:       "Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Talk"
>Poster:       "Robert A. Lamb" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      ALSBTALK Is anyone out there?
>
>I'm wondering if I have been disconnected from the listserver or are we
>just inordinately quiet? My understanding of ALSBTALK's purpose is discussion
>not resolution. If we discuss thoroughly on ALSBTALK we should have
>formulated our positions so that we are better able to reach concensus when we
>meet face to face.
>
>Here's an idea I'm trying this semester. I call it the "Paperless Classroom".
>I post the examination question to a local electronic bulletin board. My
>students read the question and return their answers to me by email. I read
>and grade them and return them with appropriate grade and comments to
>their email address.
>BENEFITS: no more misplaced student papers. no more student papers lost to
>vicious attack cats.
>
>If anyone has experience with this please let me know your impressions.
>
>BOB Lamb.

One thing you might want to consider is keeping a directory that backs up
papers that you receive. Some email systems will do this automatically as a
part of the receipt or send functions. This directory will serve as a means
of avoiding the "I gave it to you, where did you lose it?" problem. If the
system automatically backs up the received mail, you have an even stronger
argument that something did not get to you if the issue comes up. It can
also serve as a failsafe for the students.

You might also want to have the students perform some sort of back up of
their mail. Again some systems will create a "sent" directory automatically,
but others require that the author save the file to disk or diskette. The
ether is pretty thin, and once the message is gone, it's really gone.