FACULTYTALK Archives

April 2010

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ingulli, Elaine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:45:53 -0400
We are considering going "online" with evaluations (something we've been negotiating at our unionized campus---I'm the negotiator-- since Jan or so._
I am interested in incentives to students to respond (thanks Rosemary, Carol). Any others???

re: how we try to minimize the reliance on Student evaluations

We also consider:

peer observations and letters (required)

a teaching portfolio (might include, e.g., syllabi, statement of teaching philosophy, samples of student work, pedagogical-pubs,.) (optional but highly recommended)

Most of the faculty on review committees treat the teaching philosophy and statement very seriously--it's hard to ignore someone who is throughtful aobut his/her teaching, and explains why s/he does what s/he does even if students don't like it.

Elaine D. Ingulli
Professor of Business Law,
Richard Stockton College of NJ