FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ginger, Laura" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:21:49 -0500
I think that whatever some of us might want in an ideal world, we have to acknowledge the fact that test files and exams on the internet and all of these other developments are here, and here to stay.  We need to behave as if we acknowledge this environment.  You can't prevent faculty from making exam questions available if that is their judgment about the best way to conduct their classes.

I learned the hard way twenty years ago that certain students had access to my exams through files and/or pledge classes or  friends, and others didn't, and I stopped repeating exam questions immediately so as to avoid giving those folks advantages.  I know it is very frustrating and time-consuming to have to write new questions each time, and it prevents one from fine tuning a great body of exam questions, but to give exam questions more than once in the current environment is just irresponsible, unprofessional, and unfair to many students.  I give students copies of the exams I gave in the course the previous semester in their course pack, and I make exams given before that available in test files maintained by various organizations on campus.  I use questions from those old exams in teaching material, and also at review sessions before exams.   But I don't reuse exam questions without changing them.  (And I have found that you don't have to change them much to disguise them.)

I think we just can't afford to reuse exam questions because they are definitely available locally and may well be available world-wide on the internet.  I have to start writing a contracts exam this week, and I hate this situation, but I think we are stuck with it.

Laura