FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dennis M. Garvis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 10:50:54 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:53:19 -0500
From: Jeannette Oppedisano <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list IABS-L <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: affirmative action

>From Libby:  My first inclination is to blame the supervisors who,
reluctant to tell an applicant, "The other person was just better than
you," pass the blame on to "affirmative action."

Here's my real-life case:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute ended up with an external lawsuit brought
on by a white male applicant who was overqualified for the job...When he
had called the hiring supervisor to find out why he hadn't gotten the
position, he was told:  "You know how it is with this Affirmative Action
business."  The person hired was a qualified female, but the Director
failed to tell anyone until I uncovered it in my investigation that she
was the daughter of a close friend of his to whom he had promised that she
would be hired!

It cost us a lot of time and money...not to mention the unnecessary grief
for the male applicant.  He lost the case.

Jeannette