FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Miller, Carol J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:23:53 -0500
Cell phone policy:

Our university established a university-wide policy we can hand out with
the syllabus telling students to turn off cell phones and I have not had
any problems the first four weeks of this semester.  A copy of that
policy is stated below.

Carol Miller
SMSU

Southwest Missouri State University

Office of Academic Affairs

Policy on Use of Cell Phones in Classes

As a member of the learning community, each student has a responsibility
to other students who are members of the community. When cell phones or
pagers ring and students respond in class or leave class to respond, it
disrupts the class. Therefore, the Office of Academic Affairs prohibits
the use by students of cell phones, pagers, or similar communication
devices during scheduled classes. All such devices must be turned off or
put in a silent mode and cannot be taken out during class. At the
discretion of the instructor, exception to this policy is possible in
special circumstances.
Sanctions for violation of this policy are determined by the instructor
and may include dismissal from the class - see Class Disruption
(http://www.smsu.edu/recreg/classdis.html). In testing situations, use
of cell phones or similar communication devices may lead also to a
charge of academic dishonesty and additional sanctions under the Student
Academic Integrity Policies and Procedures
(http://www.smsu.edu/acadaff/AcademicIntegrity.html).
There are two appeal processes available to students. A sanction for
class disruption may be appealed using the appeal process stated in the
Class Disruption policy; however, a violation that involves a charge of
academic dishonesty must be appealed using the process described in the
Student Academic Integrity Policies and Procedures. Students have the
right to continue attending class while an appeal is in progress.