FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Levin, Murray S" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:44:19 -0600
I have awarded punitive damages, and my awards have stood up.

Much of what has been written on the subject comes out of the state of New York. And for many years New York courts held that arbitrators were prohibited from awarding punitive damages. (I'm not sure of the present status of the matter in New York.)

The AAA rules allow for remedies as are available at law and equity.

In most jurisdictions, the battle today probably has more to do with the enforceability of arbitration agreements that expressly prohibit arbitration. While I don't have any cites for you, I'm sure there are articles out there (typically advocating that these provisions not be enforced and highlighting supportive appellate decisions).

Murray S. Levin
Professor of Business Law
University of Kansas
School of Business