FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rosemary Hartigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:07:55 -0500
Hi All,

I know this was just the subject of debate recently, but here is a
pronouncement from a colleague that I'd like to set straight.  There are
several errors here, and I don't think the citation to the ABA support
the statement that the JD is not a terminal degree in law.

"actually, a JD is not a terminal degree in "business management"
or in law. According to the American Bar Association
(http://www.abanet.org/legaled/postjdprograms/postjd.html), it's "the
first degree in law". There are master's and doctoral degrees in law for

both practicing lawyers and nonlawyers (e.g., academics).

[Business] schools do welcome people with JDs to teach in the
business programs. AACSB rules also allow business schools to have JDs
teach (law) in their programs.

(I happen to know these things since, in one of my previous schools, I
was in the "Legal Studies and International Business Department").

This gets old pretty quickly, doesn't it?

Rosemary