FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:11:00 -0600
>Several semesters I have had ALL students do a 1st and 2d draft of legal
research papers, both graded, with heavier weight on the 2d draft.  The only
way I have time to manage this is to have due dates staggered throughout the
semester, with the first draft due a class period before a particular topic is
discussed in class.  (This adds a little flexibility if someone begs for a
couple of more days to work on the paper and otherwise allows me to foresee
the problems I will have when I call on this student in class.) The student(s)
knows he/she will be called on when the problem/topic is discussed.  This
tends to improve class discussion.  The second draft is due a week after class
discussion.

In semesters where I have the entire class turn in essays or short answer
problems throughout the semester, I do not have time to (require or) grade
projects.  It is a necessary time trade-off.

Carol Miller

===== Original Message From "Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Talk"