FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Opderbeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:12:52 -0500

A related section of the ABA website states the following:

"J.D. Degree - Ph.D. Degree Equivalency.
WHEREAS, the acquisition of a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree requires from
84 to 90 semester hours of post baccalaureate study and the Doctor of
Philosophy degree usually requires 60 semester hours of post baccalaureate
study along with the writing of a dissertation, the two degrees shall be
considered as equivalent degrees for educational employment purposes;

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that all appropriate persons be requested to
eliminate any policy, or practice, existing within their jurisdiction which
disparages legal education or promotes discriminatory employment practices
against J.D. degree-holders who hold academic appointment in education
institutions."

See http://www.abanet.org/legaled/council/prior.html#1

                      Rosemary Hartigan
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      >                          cc:
                      Sent by: "Academy          Subject:  Terminal Degree Issue (again)
                      of Legal Studies in
                      Business (ALSB)
                      Talk"
                      MUOHIO.EDU>

                      01/20/04 05:07 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Academy of Legal
                      Studies in Business
                      (ALSB) Talk"

Hi All,

I know this was just the subject of debate recently, but here is a
pronouncement from a colleague that I'd like to set straight.  There are
several errors here, and I don't think the citation to the ABA support
the statement that the JD is not a terminal degree in law.

"actually, a JD is not a terminal degree in "business management"
or in law. According to the American Bar Association
(http://www.abanet.org/legaled/postjdprograms/postjd.html), it's "the
first degree in law". There are master's and doctoral degrees in law for

both practicing lawyers and nonlawyers (e.g., academics).

[Business] schools do welcome people with JDs to teach in the
business programs. AACSB rules also allow business schools to have JDs
teach (law) in their programs.

(I happen to know these things since, in one of my previous schools, I
was in the "Legal Studies and International Business Department").

This gets old pretty quickly, doesn't it?

Rosemary
(See attached file: rhartigan.vcf)