FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sally Gunz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 07:04:00 -0500
You know, it is funny but yesterday I was driving a student to and from
Toronto for a talk and had a lot of time to chat (poor student). I was
recalling two of the smartest kids I knew in lawschool. I don't remember
if they attended lectures. They certainly didn't do any work until the
day or two before the exam (those were the days of 100 percent finals on
12 month courses) where they would borrow notes from someone or cobble
together bits and pieces from a text and then proceed to pass. They were
delightful kids, unbelievably smart and just had more important (?)
things going on their lives than studying -- like reading really
interesting books etc. Of course those of us who had to do the grunt
work loved to hate them tho' in truth we were all close friends. I only
know what happened to one of them. He is a highly successful senior
barrister in Sydney and I came to the conclusion that his study skills
were perfect preparation for his career -- unbelievable bursts of fast
preparation, integration of diverse concepts under high pressure etc etc.

The problem with all of our students who do not appear to be following
our every word is they make us feel redundant. I also recall, however,
the perfect student in one of my early classes -- appeared to hang on
every pearl of wisdom, write diligently etc and didn't have a clue and
failed (maybe he was writing a novel). Just an excellent actor.

Ultimately, students work or don't work, pass or fail. We just should
never fall into the trap of doing their work for them (and I agree, we
should make sure normal rules of courtesy are applied in the classroom).
If students don't do the work, most aren't smart enough to pass. So be
it. If we use our customer parallel: a customer can come into our store,
pay for our goods, and leave. But if they don't read the instructions,
and can't work out how to use the product, it isn't our job to go to
their home and work it for them.

Sally