FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:21:17 -0500
I thihink Heinbecker raised some serious issues. If you are in a global
environment how and when to use force in international relations is a
serious issue. I also think we need to discuss these issues.

James A. Bryant

While I was somewhat put off by Heinbecker's tongue lashing, I chose
stay and pose a question at the end.

As a scientist, I am trained to look for plausible alternative
hypotheses.
 In law school, I learned to acknowledge that there might be valid
oppositional arguments, and even to be able to argue the other side.

My question to Amb. Heinbecker invited him to at least identify
plausible
arguments from the other side, even if he found them unpersuasive.

I found his response wholly unsatisfying.  Essentially, he was right
and
anyone else who thought otherwise was clearly unenlightened.  Funny
that seemed to be his description of America (or at least the "bad
son").

Posing the same question to my Canadian cousins over the weekend, I
found
that they were able to see the plausibility of either side in the
debate,
irrespective of what position they personally maintained.

Perhaps because they too are academics and scientists, and not
politicians, they were honestly intererested in inquiry rather than
advancing an agenda.

I did not mind, however, Heinbecker's correction of the misperception
that
the 9/11 hijackers had come across the border from Canada, as I had
held
that misconception myself.

--
Dr. Gavin Clarkson