FACULTYTALK Archives

August 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rosemary Hartigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:33:48 -0400
I agree with Ginger.

I took a group of executive MBA students to Hong and Beijing in 2002.  I
recall that an officer from the US Consulate that spoke to our group
told us that Hong Kong is like "one country with 2 systems" since it has
been under the PRC since 1997.  He said human rights still exist in Hong
Kong, and he did not see any deterioration of the rule of  law and the
court system in Hong Kong that had been established by the British.  He
also thought that the press was still vibrant.  He saw Hong Kong as a
picture of what China could be 20-30 years from now.  I'm sure Michael
has the exact stats on this, but my understanding is that about half of
China's foreign investment comes from Hong Kong, and half of it's trade
goes through Hong Kong.   So it is in China's best interest not to mess
too much with Hong Kong.  Of course, one  view could be that this US
Consulate was being diplomatic.

That said, I did notice some "watchers" in Hong Kong, but there was much
openness in the discussions.  The watching in Hong Kong was more along
the line of nervousness and embarrassment, while in Beijiing PRC
presence had a more coercive feel.  Our students were extremely
outspoken.  It is hard to curb executives when they want to talk, but I
didn't see any big problems (except for a few very embarrassing moments
in Beijing).  Of course, we were not teaching Chinese students, although
some were in on the discussions.  It is true that the Chinese students
did not speak in the open classroom, but I just chalked that up to our
folks dominating the discussion, which they would do in a class in the
US as well.  This was a pretty aggressive group of east coast upper
level managers.

Rosemary Hartigan
Director, Business and Executive Programs and Collegiate Professor
Graduate School of Management & Technology
University of Maryland University College