FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rosemary Hartigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 11:51:25 -0400
Hi All,

I responded privately to Elaine, but, as Ross says, others may be
interested as well.  I agree with Ross that frequent contact is
essential.  I find that the more active my students are in the online
discussions, the more they learn and the more they enjoy the course.

Online students require much more formal feedback on assignments than
students in f2f classes. At UMUC we have students submit papers in pdf
format (to avoid viruses rampant in word docs), and I use Adobe mark-up
to provide feedback on the papers.  We use quite a bit of multi-media as
well.  I read the students' comments and post voice lectures each week.

There has been an extensive amount of research done on online pedagogy
and best practices for blended and totally online courses.  We have done
quite a bit at our Center for Teaching and Learning here at UMUC.
Sloan-AC is a national resource for research and best practices in
online pedagogy.  You may find this info. useful.

http://www.sloan-c.org/effective/index.asp

Best regards,

Rosemary Hartigan, J.D.
Director, Business and Executive Programs and Collegiate Professor
Graduate School
University of Maryland University College
(315)449-1119