FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ingulli, Elaine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:25:25 -0500
Has everyone seen the wonderful Steven Courbert "report" on wikipedia--where he shows how easy it is for anyone to "edit" it?

I see it as a symptom of a wider problem: the use of many internet sources that are in no way edited or necessarily reliable. I've had students site an "article" as scholarly that came from a .edu. (It was part of a pre-presentation biblio in a Gen Ed course. They were going to be talking about the impact of pornography on violence against women, and they were supposed to be using legitimate social science research.) I warned them that they had better find out what they could about the author because I would be asking questions about the reliability of their sources and I didn't want them to be embarrassed. Turns out they "couldn't" find anything. But I did: it was written by a student for a frosh seminar. This I learned by contacting the teacher of the class for which it was written. Since then, I've made every person do an exercise in evaluating sources.