FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kenneth Schneyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:35:12 -0500
I wonder how much of this debate actually stems from the scrutiny naturally
given to a cabinet-level appointment?

I mean, if we were to go over the conference speakers we have had for, say,
the last twenty or thirty years, I imagine we would find several whose
"objectionable" opinions, actions, etc. would turn out to be at least as
"severe" as Ashcroft's.  The reason Ashcroft becomes an issue is not so much
because of his views or his record but because he's been nominated for
Attorney General.  High as I hold the ALSB in my esteem, I rather think that
the threshhold for "objectionable" political views and actions required to
disqualify one as an ALSB conference speaker is somewhat higher than those
required to be disqualified as U. S. Attorney General.

We are, in other words, taking ourselves far too seriously.  We are just a
bunch of academics listening to a few papers and having a rather low-key
party.  Invite Ashcroft, or don't invite Ashcroft, but let's not delude
ourselves into thinking that the decision has any real importance!

Ken Schneyer